Mouthguards and Nightguards
What is a Mouthguard?
A properly fitted mouth guard is an important appliance you wear to prevent facial and head injuries while playing sports. They do a lot more than just protect your teeth. A mouth guard not only protects your smile it will prevent injuries to:
- your lips
- lower jawbone
- Temporomandibular Joint
Mouthguards help to cushion potential blows during physical sports that might otherwise cause these injuries, as well as concussion.
Who should wear a Mouthguard?
You don’t have to be on the hockey rink or football field to benefit from a well fitted mouth guard. It is recommended that everyone, from children to adults, wear a mouth guard during any recreational activity that could possibly be a risk of injury to the mouth.
If you’re athletic, you should consider getting a mouthguard.
What is a Performance Mouthguard?
Under Armour Mouthwear (Performance Mouthguard for Sports)
More than just a mouthguard, Under Armour Performance Mouthwear is custom designed to reduce jaw tension, allowing you to focus on what’s important – your sport performance!
The Under Armour Performance Mouthwear does more than protect your mouth and teeth from sports-related injuries. Clenching, the body’s natural reaction to stress, releases the hormone cortisol, which can cause fatigue and distraction. The Under Armour Performance Mouthwear prevents clenching and also pivots the jaw forward, alleviates jaw pressure, enlarges airway openings, and increasing oxygen flow to the body, along with your standard mouthguard, the Under Armour Mouthguard will also reduce the risk of sports related concussions.
As an Under Armour Performance Mouthwear provider, Dr. Heinrichs can fit you for the appliance in one visit. First, we’ll take impressions of your teeth and register your bite. The entire process takes about 30 minutes, and you’ll receive your Under Armour Performance Mouthwear in about 10days.
Hundreds of athletes currently use the Under Armour Performance Mouthwear to improve their sports performance. It’s recommended for adults and children eight and older who play contact, no-contact, and limited-contact sports, including football, baseball, soccer, tennis, and golf.
For more information on the “Under Armour” mouth guard, please ask Dr. Heinrichs at your next visit.
What is a Nightguard?
A nightguard is an appliance you wear while you sleep to prevent you from damaging your teeth by grinding or clenching.
How is the nightguard effective?
A nightguard can help to reduce your grinding problems by:
- Relaxing your jaw muscles (which will reduce your headaches and sore jaws and balance the forces in your mouth).
- The nightguard appliance substitutes as the wearing material so that your teeth and jaw muscles don’t suffer the consequences: Better to grind the nightguard than your own tooth enamel!
Who should wear a nightguard?
If you grind your teeth at night, you should consider wearing a nightguard appliance.
Where can I get a mouthguard or nightguard?
Custom fit Nightguards and Mouthguards are available from Dr. Heinrichs! They are made on models taken of your upper and lower teeth and can be made using hard or soft material.
How do I care for my mouthguard or nightguard?
There are several things you can do to make your guard last longer:
- Never bite your guard in place; biting on the guard when it’s out of position can possibly damage the guard, your teeth and gums.
- Rinse your guard, with cool water, after every use.
- Be careful not to use hot water as it may distort the appliance. A gentle, soft toothbrush may be used to clean, depending on the guard.
- Keep your guard in a safe carrying case while storing. This will protect it against breakage, household pets and also keep it clean.
- Make sure to schedule regular dental check-ups and Dr. Heinrichs will look over the guard and review the amount of wear and its fit! (Bring your mouthguard or nightguard to each dental visit).