Exam & Hygiene Visit
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Heinrichs at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your Dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic digital x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and permanent bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions. Our latest digital system takes the images with far less radiation than conventional equipment and uses no chemicals to develop them.
- Periodontal Disease (Gum disease) Evaluation: Check the periodontal structures: Gingiva (gums), Periodontal ligament (ligament attaching the gum to the tooth), Alveolar bone (jaw bone) and Cementum (covering of the root of the tooth. Your dental hygienist will use a periodontal measuring device called a periodontal probe. This is a painless instrument that measures how tightly attached the gum is to the tooth. The tighter the gum is the healthier it is and the shallower the space is, therefore less food, plaque and tartar can collect.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay, fractures, and any abnormalities with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of malocclusion: Check and measure how your teeth are fitting together and how well they are functioning for chewing. Also, checking for any TMJ concerns and any muscle discomfort you may be having.
Professional Dental Hygiene Visit
It is important to know that at Eagle Ridge Dental Centre we dedicate and schedule an entire hour to each and every hygiene appointment. This allows your dental hygienist the necessary time to assess your gingival health, scale and polish your teeth meticulously and give any hygiene instructions or express any concerns we may have of your teeth and/or gums. This is an interactive appointment in which we use an intra-oral camera, assessment instruments like the periodontal probe and a wide spectrum of hygiene scalers (both ultrasonic and hand) to gently and thoroughly perform your necessary hygiene debridement.
Healthy gums don’t bleed!
Your hygiene appointment will include the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar)
- Removal of plaque
- Teeth polishing
- Patient Education
- Blood Pressure and Pulse
Oral Hygiene Instruction:
Once we are able to assess any gingival concerns, we can take some time and show you and demonstrate for you any oral hygiene aid that could help you at home perform and maintain your healthy mouth. We have aids to give you and samples of products to help you continue to maintain your healthy status or even better to increase the health of mouth and your systemic health needs. Dr. Heinrichs and your Hygienist will also discuss and recommend a re care program for you depending on your needs.
“Your Gums and supporting structures are the foundation of your Smile”… it’s very important to have regular hygiene assessments prior to any cosmetic or general dentistry to ensure your investment in your smile will endure.